Last week, I gave you some news about SQL Server 2014 (here). SQL Server 2014 Community Technology Preview 1 (CTP1) now is available for download on TechNet here (you need a TechNet subscription).
Attention: Only the new feature “in-memory OLTP – codename Hekaton” has been added to this CPT. 😕
I hope that other features will soon come with the next CTPs.
If you don’t have a TechNet subscription yet, be patient, it should arrive soon.
The installation must be done on a 64bit server or desktop and no other SQL Server installation should be present!
SQL Server Version
When I installed SQL Server 2014 CPT1, I saw that the release is 11.0.9120 which is similar to a SQL Server 2012 Service Pack.
In the meantime, Microsoft has made another step for SQL Server 2014. You can now download the Product Guide for the CPT1 (released on 17.06.2013) here.
In this zip file, you will find eleven pdfs:
- “Running the SQL Server Product Guide in the Google Chrome.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 Datasheet.pdf.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 FAQ.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 Faster Insights from Any Data Level 300 Deck.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 Faster Insights from Any Data TDM White Paper.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 In-Memory OLTP TDM White Paper.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 Level 100 Deck.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 Mission Critical Performance Level 300 Deck.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 Mission Critical Performance TDM White Paper.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 Platform for Hybrid Cloud Level 300 Deck.pdf”
- “SQL Server 2014 Platform for Hybrid Cloud TDM White Paper.pdf”
For information, the guide is only available in English for the moment.
Extracts from the FAQ document:
Q: When will SQL Server 2014 become generally available?
SQL Server 2014 will be available in the second half of calendar year 2013.
An other good question ;-):
Q: How does this next version better position you to compete with
competitors such as Oracle and SAP?
I let you discover the answer…:-D
MSDN up to date
To finish my post, let me inform you that MSDN has some information pages available for SQL Server 2014:
To be continued…